Monday, January 23, 2012

Defining a SWF


The always poignant Urban Dictionary defines a SWF as an acronym for "single, white female; an abbreviation often used in personal ads."

I am this very definition, except I do not frequent internet dating sites on lonely weeknights, desperately peppering my bios with the label SWF while swilling glass after very full glass of Franzia.

I am single. I am white. And I am most definitely female.


But being a SWF is more than just being a sometimes lonely, always pale female.

It’s about spending hours at the gym and ruining it in 20 minutes into our annual Thursday happy hour. It’s about our awkward obsession with small, furry cats, kittens, and sometimes puppies. It’s about our deep belief that Ryan Gosling is truly our betrothed. It’s about our constant failures in the kitchen and the mess that they inevitably yield. It’s about our personal war with self-tanners. It’s about finding our glitter covered gay best friend, where ever he may be.

This blog is about what it means to be a twenty-something SWF, living alone and sorting through the strange intricacies that life throws.

No comments:

Post a Comment